Russia to build used fuel storage for Egypt

21 August 2018

The first module of a storage facility for used nuclear fuel, to be built with Russian assistance at the planned El Dabaa NPP is scheduled to be built before 2028, Russia’s Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade Georgy Kalamanov told reporters on 13 August. Under one of the contracts, Russia will build a repository for used fuel and supply it with dual-purpose transport and packaging containers.

In 2008, Russia and Egypt signed an intergovernmental agreement on cooperation in the peaceful uses of nuclear energy, and in 2015 an agreement followed for the construction of El Dabaa NPP for which Russia extended a $25 billion loan. The loan is expected to finance 85% of the cost and is repayable over 35 years. Egypt will fund the remaining 15%.

The NPP will comprise four generation 3+ VVER-1200 reactors incorporating stringent post-Fukushima security standards. In December2017 commercial contracts were signed for construction of the plant with the first unit planned for operation in 2026.

A construction licence for El Dabba is expected in mid-2020, according to Kalamanov. Engineering surveys have been completed and work is underway to design the station.

 

 



Privacy Policy
We have updated our privacy policy. In the latest update it explains what cookies are and how we use them on our site. To learn more about cookies and their benefits, please view our privacy policy. Please be aware that parts of this site will not function correctly if you disable cookies. By continuing to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy unless you have disabled them.