In 2009 a multiple-lot tender was launched by the Nuclear Decommissioning Unit of JRC Ispra (see contract notice No 2009/S 110-158067 of 11.6.2009). Services were subdivided into lots, each representing a specific and well-identified type of activity. The lots were awarded as follows:
- Engineering support (ES) — engineering services to deliver design and studies projects and the supervision of their implementation in the D&WM programme: awarded to the consortium Ansaldo Nucleare (Italy)-Westinghouse Electric Spain S.A.U (former Initec, Spain);
- Waste management facilities operations and maintenance (WMFO&M) (EUR7.85 million)— support in conducting NDU waste management facilities and provision of routine radioactive waste management services: awarded to the consortium SAT Kerntechnik (Germany)-Bouygues Constructions (France);
- Nuclear facilities decommissioning and support to operations (NFD&SO) (EUR9.3 million) — assistance in the conducting of NDU nuclear facilities and provision of (pre)decommissioning operational services: awarded to Salvarem (France);
- Site laboratory operations (SLO) — support in the conducting of NDU site laboratory for DA: awarded to Nucleco (Italy);
- Off-site analytical services (OSA) — execution of destructive and non-destructive assays on samples provided by the NDU, including transport to off-site laboratories: awarded to the consortium Envinet (Czech Republic)-WERT (Slovakia).