AP1000 gets EU approval

27 May 2007

The European Utility Requirements (EUR) organisation has certified the AP1000 pressurised water reactor (PWR), confirming that the AP1000 can be deployed in Europe.

Results of the assessment reveal that the AP1000 achieved a 99% level of compliance and the European Passive Plant (EPP) group, initially formed by Westinghouse and led by European utilities and suppliers, is implementing a programme to address the remaining 1% which are primarily in the areas of aircraft crash protection, 12- to 24-month operating flexibility, and minor features in the plant layout.

The programme is expected to be completed in the next 18 months.

The EUR was launched in 1991 by several European utilities to produce a common set of utility requirements endorsed by major European utilities for the next generation of light water reactor nuclear power plants.


Related Articles
Springtime in China
China selects AP1000 technology
AP1000 units switch site



Privacy Policy
We have updated our privacy policy. In the latest update it explains what cookies are and how we use them on our site. To learn more about cookies and their benefits, please view our privacy policy. Please be aware that parts of this site will not function correctly if you disable cookies. By continuing to use this site, you consent to our use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy unless you have disabled them.