Babcock has won a competitively tendered GBP1.3 million contract from British Energy to develop a new hybrid trepanning tool for sampling the graphite of nuclear reactors.
Important elements of the hybrid trepanning tool design include:
• Ability to cut 40 to 75 mm samples
• Ability to rotate within the reactor to sample at any selected angle
• The highly engineered precision mechanism for cutting
• An integral camera used to view the trepanning area
• A dust extraction system
• Ability to work with existing contained hoist
• Remote operability
The tool is known as a “hybrid” because it brings together elements from existing tools.
Delivery of the tool is scheduled for May 2011.